We’re excited that the 2022 Commonwealth Games will be held in Birmingham. Many of our Derbyshire athletes are working hard to fly the flag and win medals there for Team GB.
Because the games are taking place just over an hour from Derby, the local businesses who support our athletes will have the chance to easily travel to watch the action and cheer on our athletes with their employees and clients.
So, we are launching a campaign to find 50 new businesses and business people to join our supporters club in the next six months. This will help us to provide more support for our athletes who have their eyes firmly on the prize of a medal at the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
Derbyshire had produced champions in the past but our aim since 2012 has been to create a systematic model, leaving less to chance, and giving our athletes the best possible chance of achieving their medal-winning dreams. At DIS we find the best athletes and nurture their performance through bespoke training plans, strength and conditioning, psychology, nutrition and more, all delivered by professional coaches and experts.
How great would it be to know YOU and YOUR BUSINESS had played a part in their eventual success? Can you join our ‘golden 50’ for the Commwealth Games – or do you work with a business that could help?
Make no mistake about it, without our business sponsors, we couldn’t make the difference we do to Derbyshire athletes. We are a unique organisation in the UK and we get no government or lottery funding.
Who could become a member of the golden 50?
This opportunity is aimed at small and micro businesses and sole traders who could invest £1,000 (inc. VAT) between now and the 2022 Commonwealth Games (£500 per year) to help our athletes fly the flag for Team GB and Derbyshire.
It will have particular benefits for businesses and business people who work in Derbyshire, but with the focus being on the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, you will reap benefits if you work in the Midlands.
If your business is in the fitness, wellness, health or activity sector, there are obvious synergies with DIS, but we can also help businesses in any industry who want to demonstrate that their values match those of our athletes, or who want to raise their profile and reach new audiences.
What are the benefits of joining the DIS supporters club?
The benefits to businesses include:
- The home Commonwealth Games in 2022 will get lots of interest from people who aren’t usually sports fans. Virtually everyone gets excited when Team GB does well and if a new sports star emerges. These people will include your customers and clients. You’ll be able to show that your support has made a difference to the Derbyshire athletes and that you have been part of their journey.
- Being a DIS supporter can generate engaging content for your website, blog and social media channels. The similarities between elite athletes and successful businesses like yours can provide the foundation for articles and news releases that you can write. Resilience, hard work, high-performance, patience, passion and teamwork are among the traits our athletes demonstrate. Who wouldn’t want to remind their customers that they share those same qualities?
- You will be invited to our monthly CONNECT business networking evenings at the University of Derby sport centre. Each month, one of our coaches talks about a subject that has relevance in the world of business. You can also meet one of our athletes. It’s a valuable opportunity to network with other businesses, build relationships and get more content and inspiration for the stories you share in print and online.
- You will be publicly thanked with a shout-out on our social media channels and in our monthly e-newsletter and your company logo will appear on our website.
- You will get access to a closed sponsors and supporters Facebook group where you can share your news, publicise events and continue to build business relationships.
- We will help your business to be seen by an audience of athletes, coaches, sports lovers and other DIS supporters who follow us on YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Clients are often drawn to businesses that are ‘giving back’ to the community and your DIS support demonstrates your Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Our athletes will always remember the part you played in their story. You can read below what our current athletes say about the support they get from DIS.
- You’ll receive a certificate and an email footer that you can use to demonstrate your support.
- You’ll be helping to shine the spotlight on Derbyshire and its success on the world sporting stage, which is sure to have spin-off benefits for its businesses.
The 2022 Commonwealth Games offer a golden opportunity to take your clients and employees, friends and family to Birmingham and watch the action unfold, so what a great time to become one of our golden 50 supporters?
What DIS means to our athletes
Javelin thrower Bekah Walton is one DIS athlete who has her sights set firmly on Birmingham 2022. She said: “The DIS is an invaluable resource to me. I feel like they care about me as a person and not just as an athlete, and this really shows in the programmes they produce and the support they offer. I love being able to train with other athletes outside of my event, and learn from them as well. It’s great to know that during the hard times I will always have the DIS to support me and help me get to the top.”
Team GB hurdler and 4×400 metre relay runner Jess Turner said: “DIS means so much to me. Without the fantastic support network from the DIS, I doubt I would be where I am today in my sport. The DIS focused on my individual needs right from the beginning, with strength & conditioning and physiotherapy being hugely important in my development as an athlete.”
In September 2019, Jamie Spencer-Pickup won a Gold medal at the Commonwealth Judo Championships. He is working hard to win a medal in 2022. He said: “DIS has allowed me to enhance every part of my judo; not just physically (via Laura Wakes’ strength and conditioning training), but also my nutrition. My diet has changed massively enabling me to train harder and then replenish with the right foods, allowing me to maintain a high amount of energy throughout the day. Finally I have also had a lot of help with the mental side of the sport (via coach Andy Wood), showing me how to channel my pressure and negative thoughts into positive ones.”
How to apply
We are focused on signing up 50 new supporters club members to boost the help we can offer ahead of Birmingham 2022. To be in that number you just need to email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can send you an application form and invoicing details. We’ll also be happy to answer any questions.