The key purpose of the Derbyshire Institute of Sport is to support individual athletes to progress onto National Governing Body World Class programmes.
The overall ambition is to ensure more athletes from Derbyshire win medals at major events; Olympic/Paralympic Games, Commonwealth Games and World Championships. The sports that are supported through the DIS programme are listed in the table below:
The key criteria are as follows:
- Athletes must reside in Derbyshire or compete for a Derbyshire squad/club
- The majority of athletes will be aged between 15 – 20, however there are some exceptions dependant on the sport
- Athletes must take part in an individual sport from the list above and be competing in a Olympic / Paralympic disciple of that sport
- Athletes must be able to evidence their potential to achieve one of the following performance targets during 2017/2018 season
- Win a national championship medal
- Be selected by the NGB to compete internationally
- Gain selection onto a World Class Potential squad
- Have a UK ranking within the top 15 of an U17 or older age category (some exceptions will be made for early specialisation sports)
The DIS does not support:
- Athletes who do not live or compete for a Derbyshire squad/club
- Athletes involved in team sports
- Professional athletes or those aspiring to be fully professional
- Athletes involved in sports where selection for the Olympics/Paralympics is based on a professional ranking where the athlete is earning significant sums of money (e.g. tennis, golf)
NB: There are a limited number of places available on the programme, so please do not assume that meeting the criteria automatically means that you will be selected.
All athletes, existing and new, who hope to be part of the Derbyshire Institute of Sport in 2017-18, will need to complete one of the application forms above.
The deadline for completing the application form is 7th July 2017. The validation and selection process takes place during July and successful applicants will be announced in mid-August. Successful applicants will then be invited onto the Derbyshire Institute of Sport for one season at a time starting on 1st September 2017
We anticipate receiving a high volume of applications; to give yourself the best chance of being successful, please answer all questions and provide as much information as you think relevant. The selection committee will look at each application closely and make a decision based on previous performances, future potential and the qualities needed to continue to progress in your sport.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact Adi Fawcett – email@example.com